PHA 6935 Veterinary Pharmacy
Upon completing this course, students will have obtained knowledge and skills that can positively impact veterinary outcomes by applying their drug knowledge resources to veterinary situations. Pharmacists in suburban or rural community settings often receive prescriptions from veterinarians for animal patients. To prepare graduates to safely fill animal prescriptions and meet the legal counseling requirements, instruction on veterinary disease states and the human and veterinary prescription medications used to treat these conditions is warranted.
- Equip students with a knowledge base on the clinical uses and indications of human and veterinary labeled medications in the treatment of diseases affecting animal patients.
- Enable students to recall common animal disease states affecting companion animals with emphasis on pharmacotherapy options.
- Focus on the unique legal and regulatory issues that affect the practice of veterinary pharmacy.
- Discover, explore and apply of text and internet-based veterinary-specific resources to support students in their ability to problem solve when filling animal prescriptions.
- Communicate effectively with animal owners and veterinarians to: meet state-mandated counseling requirements, ensure patient safety, and solve drug administration problems.
- Discuss current topics in veterinary medicine and veterinary pharmacy.
|Week 1||First Week of Class|
|Week 2||Legal and Regulatory|
|Week 3||Veterinary Informatics|
|Week 5||KCS, Anti-Infectives|
|Week 6||Thyroid Disorders, CHF|
|Week 7||Epilepsy, Urinary Incont|
|Week 8||Exam #1|
|Week 9||EPI, Separation Anxiety|
|Week 10||Osteoarthritis, Otitis Externa|
|Week 11||Adrenal Diseases, Heartworm Preventatives, Flea/Tick|
|Week 12||Chemotherapy, TPN|
|Week 13||Human/Animal Bond|
|Week 14||Analgesics and Anesthetics|
|Week 15||Public Health, Exam #2|
No Textbooks are required for this class.
Distance Education and UF Online Students enjoy the same library privileges as on-campus students. To utilize the University of Florida Library System, click here!